The house in which Blyb. lives and breathes today has a long history. Parts of this history are lively and beautiful, while others are terrible and painful. We are currently delving into the history in detail and will present it extensively on our website on-site.
Here is a historical overview of the premises and its buildings:
The history begins in 1892 when a building was constructed on a plot of over 20,000 square meters in Gmund, which has since been named “Lindenfycht.” In its basic structure, this building corresponds to the northern part of the current villa of the hotel.
In 1897, the artist couple Hanfstaengl acquired the house. Marie Schröder-Hanfstaengl was an opera and stage singer, Erwin Hanfstaengl was a photographer and the son of lithographer Franz Hanfstaengl.
1897 – 1914
Between 1904 and 1914, the house was initially inhabited by merchants from Munich, and later by a private individual from Wiesbaden.
In 1914, the world-famous chamber singer Alois Burgstaller and his wife moved into the villa.
In 1933, with the rise of the National Socialists to power, several high-ranking Nazi officials settled in the Tegernsee Valley. In the following year, Heinrich Himmler, the Reichsführer of the SS, purchased the house and turned it into a domicile primarily for his wife and daughter. Himmler carried out various renovations and expansions. In the last year of the war, an air-raid shelter was built on the premises, resulting in the death of a forced laborer. The bunker still exists but is neither used nor entered.
The open fireplace was built during Himmler’s expansion measures. We have chosen to visually merge it with the wall to take away its monumentality and significance.
In the first weeks of May 1945, soldiers of the 3rd US Army reached Gmund. The Lindenfycht grounds became the headquarters of the U.S. Allies.
After the end of the war, the house returned to public ownership, where it has remained to this day and is leased by the Free State of Bavaria.
1945 – 1957
The current villa initially became a clinic, then called the “Sanatorium Diätkurhaus Walter Thiele” – a pioneer in raw food and nutritional medicine. After that, it became a hotel with a beauty farm.
In 1982, the consulting and coaching company “ComTeam” took over the place and used it as a seminar hotel and office.
After the renovation, in which several layers were removed, old ones brought to light again, and new ones added, Blyb. opens in early summer 2023.
The history of this house carries great responsibility. We commemorate the victims of World War II and all those who are still affected by the atrocities of National Socialism today. We offer our place as a platform for associations and foundations that stand for a democratic culture, promoting tolerance in our society, and are dedicated to combating racism and anti-Semitism, as well as protecting minorities.
If you have further questions, please feel free to write us. We will do our best to respond and provide answers.
Learn more about us and our values under Us.